The mission of the Craven County Department of Social Services is to provide services to enhance the quality of life of the county's most vulnerable citizens. The general services available are outlined below:
- Child Welfare: Protective Services for Children, Foster Care, Adoption, Crisis Intervention, court-ordered studies.
- Adult Services: Adult Protective Services, rest home monitoring, group care placements, in-home care.
- Public Assistance: Medicaid, Food Stamps, Work First Cash Assistance, Energy Assistance, Surplus Food Distributions, and Special Assistance for Home Care.
- Work Programs: Work First and Food Stamp Employment and Training services for recipients of public assistance.
- Day Care: Subsidized day care for public assistance recipients and working families with low incomes.
- Preventive Services: Programs for children and adults who are at-risk of needing protection. Include programs for adolescent parents and at-risk youth.
- Senior Services: Serving Seniors over 60 with four congregate meal sites, meals on wheels, and health promotion activities.