Craven County Inspections provides a review of residential and commercial projects and enforces the NC State Building Codes.
Required Inspections for Residential Construction
The required inspections for residential construction include:
- Footing for crawl space and raised slabs
- Temporary electric for service poles
- Plumbing for under slabs
- Concrete slab for slab house
- Floor system for crawl space before plywood installed
- Rough-in framing
- Rough-in electrical
- Rough-in plumbing
- Rough-in mechanical
- Final electrical
- Certificate of occupancy
Mobile Home Permit
Inspections 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 should be done at the same time. Inspections 6 through 9 are also to be done at the same time. The process for purchasing a Mobile Home Permit is as follows:
- Have proper Land Use Application Permit.
- Have proper and current sewer permit.
- If your property is in a FEMA flood zone, you will need to have a preliminary flood certificate.
- Have a completed Mobile Home Inspection application with the contractor's name and license number.
Expedite Permit Purchase & Inspection Process
The following information can help expedite your permit purchase and inspection process:
- We encourage all applicants to complete all necessary permit applications prior to visiting the Planning and Inspections office.
- All required inspections are included as part of the mobile home and mechanical permit process.
- If the site is in an identified FEMA flood zone, then a final flood elevation certificate will be required before power can be turned on to the structure.
- There will be a re-inspection fee charged if your home does not pass the initial inspection.
- At the time of inspection, the following items must be completed:
- House must be properly blocked up and tied down (new homes per factory manual and used homes per North Carolina code book).
- Plumbing must be complete with septic connection uncovered.
- All wiring must be completed per the National Electric Code.
- Must have proper steps at all doors
- Must have positive drainage from under home
Please see the frequently asked questions (PDF) section of this website for more information regarding Building Inspections.
2828 Neuse Boulevard
New Bern, NC 28562
2828 Neuse Boulevard New Bern NC 28562
Phone: 252-636-4987Fax: 252-636-4984
Dalton HenryChief Building Inspector
Steven PateBuilding Codes Inspector II
Daniel GarveyBuilding Codes Inspector I
Joanna GaskinsFire Inspector II
Casey NarronBuilding Codes Inspector 1